This is a voluntary pledge that St John’s and St Vigor’s Churches are encouraging individual Christian members of our churches to help make social media and the web more widely positive places for conversations to happen.
The digital landscape has changed so much in the last few years and will continue to do so as technology develops. It’s important to think about how the conversations we’re having can help change someone’s newsfeed for the better.
What does it look like to be a Christian online? Everyone’s engagement is different. Whether you’re a member of clergy using Twitter or a churchgoer replying to the comments on a blog, we all have different views, histories and areas of interest that will affect how we perceive things, and our responses to those events. The comments we make can reach thousands and even millions of people both in this country and around the world very quickly.
However, there are a number of ways we can make the digital world as loving and generous as we would when speaking face to face:
- Truth – we should hold ourselves to high ideals of checking that what we post online is fair and factual.
- Kindness – we are all different and that makes the world an interesting place – and at times a challenging one. Think the best of people, whether they share our views or are speaking against them and aim to be constructive in the way we engage.
- Welcome – in the language we use and the way we interact. It’s easy for Christians to speak in another language using words that those outside the Church might not relate to.
- Inspiration – we are called to be witnesses of our faith and to use social media in a way that genuinely engages others.
- Togetherness – we are one Church and other members of this Church are our brothers and sisters in Christ. It is crucial we treat those around us in this way.
- Safeguarding – if you have any concerns about the wellbeing of children, young people and vulnerable adults, please go to our safeguarding page
we’ve signed up
THE BENEFICE OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST VIGOR’S
St Vigor’s, Church Lane, Stratton-on-the-Fosse BA3 4QR
St John’s, Church Lane, Chilcompton BA3 4HP
Opening Hours: 9.00am – 12.00 noon, Monday to Friday.
Kate Crossley, Administrator